Biblical Counselling Equip Events
Biblical Counselling Equip Training Course
Dates: 9-10 June, 21-22 July, 25-26 August
Cost: R 1500 online | R2200 in person
Friday: 18:00 – 20:30
Saturday: 08:00 – 17:00
A CONTEXTUALIZED, THIRTY HOUR, BIBLICAL COUNSELLING AND DISCIPLESHIP TRAINING COURSE
Strengthening Ministries Training Institute (SMTI) exists to promote excellence in Biblical Counselling in the local church in South Africa by training and equipping pastors and other Christians in the theologically accurate and practical use of Scripture in understanding and solving the problems of people, and thus promoting growth in and usefulness for Christ in the Church and the world. The training at SMTI also enables individuals to pursue certification with the Association of Certified Biblical Counsellors (ACBC). This course fulfills the minimum training requirement needed towards ACBC certification.
In order to achieve these goals SMTI will be offering: A Contextualized, Thirty Hour, Biblical Counselling and Discipleship Training Course (30HCD). The developers of this course have painstakingly condensed the essential Biblical Counselling principles to be best suited and applied to a South African context.
We believe this training will equip students to use Scripture effectively in one another ministries in the church and among friends and family. It will also prepare students to engage with counselling problems, identify the causes of those problems and offer biblical solutions to resolve those issues. It will further give students confidence in the Scripture’s sufficient, understandable and practical use in achieving its intended goal in us.
There are three phases to becoming ACBC certified. They are as follows:
- Enroll in the 30HCD
- Register with ACBC at biblicalcounseling.com
- Join the SMTI student platform
- Download the student notes for week one
- Order the textbooks
- Attend the basic 30HCD course in person
- After completing the 30 HCD course, watch the required counselling session on the student platform
- Complete the 1,000 pages of required reading
- Direct assistance will be provided after completion of 30HCD
- Download exams at: biblicalcounseling.com/certification
- Complete the ACBC theology and counselling exams
- Submit the completed exams to ACBC for grading
- Once the exams have been passed, find an ACBC Fellow and complete 50-hours of observed counselling
- After successful completion of the 50-hours of observed counselling a letter will be sent to ACBC with recommendations
A general introduction to the distinctives of Biblical Counselling. The focus will be on 1) An Introduction to Biblical Counselling, 2) Methods of Biblical Change, 3) Theology of Biblical Counselling, 4) Marriage and Family Counselling and Topics, 5) Problems and Procedures and 6) Observation and Practicum.
1) An Introduction to Biblical Counselling. This session will introduce the ministry of Biblical Counselling and discipleship by showing its roots in Scripture, its theological support, its historical alternatives and its philosophical presuppositional departure point. It will also show how the Bible is sufficient to equip the saints for one another ministry in the local church.
2) Methods of Biblical Change. This session will provide a biblical understanding of biblical change. It will provide an authoritative framework of eight procedures and will also demonstrate its practical use in understanding the human experience. It will further show how it is used by the Holy Spirit to motivate, empower and direct individuals in life and godliness.
1) Theology of Biblical Counselling. This session will challenge students to consider the theological realities that form the basis of a proper approach to Biblical Counselling. Specifically, this section attempts to develop a biblical understanding of the nature of God and man while giving careful attention to the specific application of these principles to real life issues.
2) Marriage and Family Counselling. This session will consider the biblical understanding of marriage and the key factors that make up a biblical and harmonious marriage. It will consider different roles, their functions and interrelatedness to one another, the responsibilities, and the privileges in a biblical marriage. It will highlight certain aspects as they relate to an African context.
3) Marriage and Family Topics. This session will seek to give a biblical perspective on issues that hinder harmonious and biblical marriages. It will further seek to understand the issues biblically, diagnose the problems and present solutions and procedures for the counselling process.
1) Problems and Procedures. This session will apply the biblical principles taught in Methods of Biblical Change to a range of specific counselling problems that are common to man. Students will also be assisted in identifying and counselling issues that are unique to an African context.
2) Medical Issues and Biblical Counselling: This session is designed to show how physical illness can affect the human soul. It will also consider the theory undergirding the use of psychotropic drugs and the procedures involved in assisting counsellees.
3) Observation and Practicum. This session is designed to help students learn practical skills in counselling through observation, evaluation, critique and discussion with the purpose of helping build a practical and effective counselling model.